A Quick Guide to Self-Compassion with EFT TappingMar 24, 2023
Self-compassion is a concept that has gained a lot of attention in recent years as more people realize the importance of being kind to themselves.
So, what is self-compassion?
Think of it as being a best friend to yourself.
You know how you offer comfort and support when your friend is going through a tough time?
Self-compassion is extending that same kindness and understanding to yourself.
Unfortunately, many of us have been conditioned to be self-critical, judgmental, and harsh towards ourselves.
The subconscious mind, which is responsible for your survival and has learned that turning your thoughts against you by being critical and doubtful is a successful tool for preventing you from doing new and risky things, and we have been taught by society that being hard on ourselves will push us to do better
But research shows that the opposite is true.
Self-compassion has been linked to many benefits, including reduced stress and anxiety, greater emotional resilience, and increased well-being.
One common myth about self-compassion is that it is selfish or self-indulgent.
However, research has shown that self-compassion is associated with greater empathy and compassion for others and more positive relationships.
When we are kind to ourselves, we can better show kindness to others.
So, how can you cultivate self-compassion in your daily life? Here's a quick guide using EFT Tapping to do so ↓
- Begin with self-awareness. Start noticing when you're being overly critical or doubtful of yourself. When you recognize those moments, hit pause.
- Adopt a non-judgmental attitude. Avoid criticizing or blaming yourself for being hard on yourself. Instead, practice being a non-judgmental observer of your thoughts and feelings, and make a safe container for them to exist while you're working through this process.
- Come back to the present moment. Take a few minutes to ground yourself by placing one hand on your heart and the other on your belly, taking three slow, deep breaths.
- Challenge your thoughts. Ask yourself, "Is this a fact, or is it a feeling or story?" Once you identify the negative reviews, consider where this could be coming from. See if any recent or old memories show up.
- Use EFT Tapping to accept and forgive yourself. EFT Tapping is a technique that involves tapping on specific points on the body while speaking the truth or how you are thinking and feeling with self-care affirmations.
Use EFT Tapping to cultivate self-compassion by tapping on the nine acupressure points while saying, "Even though I'm feeling (state the feeling), I deeply and completely love, accept and forgive myself for having these thoughts and feelings." Tap with the video below to start and continue using the 'Tap & Talk' technique.
Remember, developing a self-compassion practice takes practice and patience.
With dedication, you can create a more compassionate and accepting attitude towards yourself and ultimately lead a more peaceful, happy, and fulfilling life.
If you struggle with self-criticism and an overactive inner critic causing you to second-guess your decisions and binge-watching Netflix instead of pursuing the life you long for, or if you've found that traditional talk therapy has not helped to diminish your self-doubt, why not schedule a free no-obligation consultation with me to see how a private EFT tapping session can help.